01. A few years ago I wrote a book on finding your really-right direction, quitting your job + growing your own thing (that fits the life you want *and* your unique personality… so you don’t have to secretly leave a piece of yourself at the door to get paid).
It turned into a bit of a bestseller, and has been translated into over half a dozen languages.
(The new extended edition was released in 2019! Check it out here).
For the last 10 years I’ve run an online business, creating courses (and global online events) for thousands of people around this topic.
02. A few years ago I stepped onto the TED stage to give a TEDx Talk called The Hidden Power of Not (Always) Fitting In.
It’s for those of us who don’t feel like we’re just ‘one thing’ – who are good at looking like we fit in the various worlds we move in… but secretly, on the inside, a little piece of us never feels we 100% fit into any of them.
The talk gives that trait a name (“liminal”) and explains why it is not something to hide, and why the difference you might be trying to hide might be more powerful than you think.
I wasn’t sure how it would be received but the idea seemed to hit home: it was listed by Entrepreneur as a top 10 TEDx Talk to watch and has been viewed nearly half a million times, as people see themselves in it and share it… so if you’ve ever felt that way, you are definitely not alone!
03. Much like you, I’m someone who cares (I very much identify as a “highly sensitive person”, or HSP.)
And the increasingly soundbite-filled, loud nature of the online world I found myself in a few years ago didn’t feel right anymore…
So I took some time out from that scene – to deepen my speaking/writing and more… and came back with a few things including:
04. In 2021 I created the Superpowers Academy!
(To find and use your superpowers for more happiness, impact and EASE in what you’re doing – or to use as a compass to steer toward your right idea!)
We just ran the founding round 💥 and will be opening up again soon (put your name down on my Friday Love Letter list to be sure to hear about it!)
05. Recently my thinking has been featured in Business Insider, Inc.com, BBC World (television), The Telegraph among other places.
I was interviewed on about 30 podcasts last year (you can see 10 of my favourite podcast interviews here!) and I‘m looking forward to more!
The most popular conversation topic is always “why your weirdness is your edge” (why the thing about you you are MOST tempted to hide at work or in business might really be your secret superpower).
Which seems to be a theme, because:
05. My most shared quote is “weaknesses are just strengths in the wrong environment”…
And I firmly believe that.
Everything we do here starts from the point of who you are (not some one size fits all formula). There is a home for every personality and strength – it’s just a question of finding that home or creating it to fit you.
It’s a simple idea, but in a world that can often tell us we need to be more like other people in order to be good enough, it’s an idea that we often leave out of the picture day to day… so I figured it was worth including it here ;).